Access Statement for Farmer Ted’s Farm Park
This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs. The aim of this document is to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offered to all Farmer Ted’s guests/visitors.
Farmer Ted’s is an interactive farm animal park and play area for families with children aged 0 – 11 years, school & nursery groups and group days out. We are located in the West Lancashire countryside, 13 miles from the centre of Liverpool. The facilities on site consist of a large building housing the main restaurant, gift shop and soft play areas, one for children aged under 4 years and one for those aged 4+. The main hall is a vast space for events and houses a play area in one corner, a catering outlet, toilets and slides accessed by a spiral staircase of 15 steps or a regular staircase also of 15 steps, both with handrails. The farm park has an animal barn running down the centre with an adventure play field to the right and a mini beast centre and smaller adventure play area to the left. A theatre and classroom are located at the far end of the site. A field trail takes customers out into the fields to see animals other than those in the animal barn and to observe the bird of prey flying display and sheep racing. A tractor ride takes customers on a ride around the farm and in the summer months a barrel ride operates as an additional activity. The site is all on one level and fully accessible. To discuss your individual needs and requirements please do contact us in advance and we will do our best to accommodate you.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 0151 526 0002 or email email@example.com.
- We are located on the B5195, a winding country road 5 miles from Ormskirk and 5 miles from Formby.
- The site is 13 miles from Liverpool and is 10 minutes away from the end of the M58 and M57 motorways.
- The nearest railway stations are Maghull (5 miles) which can be accessed from Liverpool or Preston (via Ormskirk) or Formby (5 miles) which can be accessed from Liverpool or Southport.
- Accessible taxis can be booked from Ormskirk: 01695 573333, Maghull: 0151 526 5050 or Formby: 0151 933 6000.
Car Parking and Arrival
- Parking is available on site with designated Blue Badge parking available 10 metres from the main entrance.
- At busy times stewards on the gate will direct Blue badge holders to the designated parking spaces or visitors can be dropped off at the main entrance.
- The car park is level with some grassed parking areas and some tarmac / gravel surfaces and lighting is installed throughout the car park.
- A concrete slope of 8 metres leads from the car park to the main entrance with a handrail on the right hand side.
- Entrance doors are automatic and these open to a width of 1.4 metres.
- The entrance and exit to the farm has flood lighting in operation in the evenings.
Main Entrance, Reception and Ticketing Area
- Once inside the floor of the main hall is concrete and level.
- The area is well lit and uncluttered.
- The payment desk has a sliding glass window to assist people lip reading and is 120cm from the counter to the floor.
- A concession price is available for carers and details of prices can be found on the website.
- Wheelchairs are available on site and can be borrowed for the duration of your visit, although prior booking is recommended
Attraction (displays, exhibits, rides etc.)
- On admission all customers are given a timetable of activities for the day, this can be provided in larger print if requested.
- Blackboards and information boards around the site also provide information to customers as to the activities available and their location, safety tips and signage. Tannoy announcements are also made to alert customers to the next activity on site.
- Background music plays continuously in the main hall and main restaurant and on the tractor ride.
- A video screen in the main hall operates most days.
- Around the site are 3 LED information screens that alert customers to special events and daily information. These may contain flashing images.
- External doors from the main hall are automatic and open to a width of 1.4 metres.
- Internal double doors to the restaurant are pushed or pulled to open. They can be opened to a width of 2 metres.
- Seating is available around the site on benches, picnic tables and small tables and chairs with arms.
- The floor surface in the main hall is tarmac and the restaurant has laminate flooring.
- Lighting in all areas of the site is mainly fluorescent with some spot lights and natural lighting.
- The animal barn has a tiered seating area in which animal activities are held. There is plenty of space at floor level for wheelchairs and pushchairs and benches are also available.
- The tractor ride is not accessible to pushchairs or wheelchairs and an area is provided to leave these if customers wish to take the ride.
- The tractor ride is bumpy as it follows a farm track and access to the trailer is via 4 steps (35cm from ground level, 2 x 30cm steps and a top step of 5cm) and through a gate 90cm wide. Seating is on a padded central seat (48cm high) looking out of the window opposite.
- The barrel ride is one person per car, however children aged under 4 can sit on an adult’s knee if they wish. Seat belts are provided and all barrels are fitted with roll bars.
- The field trail is accessible to pushchairs and wheelchairs with a width of between 1 and 2 metres, although in wet weather this can become muddy. The fields undulate and help would be needed to get a wheelchair along the path.
- The covered sand pit would require assistance for a wheelchair to access the 16cm lip on entry.
- The mini beast centre and theatre are fully accessible although pushchair access to the theatre is restricted during busy periods.
- The theatre is accessed by a downward ramp and has bench seating which can be moved to allow access for wheelchairs. The slope of the ramp may mean wheelchair users require help to enter and leave the theatre but staff are on hand to help if such circumstances arise.
- There are several play areas located around the park, elements of which can be accessed from ground level; however some play areas are multi-tiered and access to the upper levels requires climbing.
- Outdoor play areas have a wooden lip around them of 10cm to contain the soft play bark which is located in and around all outdoor play equipment.
- The main outdoor play area is located on a field which by its nature is not flat, so care should be taken when moving between the play areas.
- All hand washing facilities on the farm park are positioned at a height of between 80 – 90cm and are operated by sensors. Wheelchairs can fully access these facilities.
- There are three toilet blocks on site;
- One block is situated adjacent to the main entrance and contains an accessible toilet in both the ladies and gentleman’s toilets. A small ramp provides entry to this toilet block.
- Both accessible toilets have a door width of 1 metre and a height from floor to seat of 48cm.
- In the ladies toilet the clear space for a wheelchair is to the left of the toilet when facing it. Horizontal grab rails are located on the left of the toilet against the wall and on the back of the door. Vertical grab rails are located again to the left of the toilet and on the wall immediately behind the toilet on the right hand side and on either side of the hand wash basin.
- In the gentleman’s toilets the layout is reversed.
- The second sets of toilets are in the main restaurant building and contain a separate unisex accessible toilet. This toilet is accessed from a level floor surface and has a door width of 1 metre and a height from floor to seat of 48cm. The clear space for a wheelchair is to the left of the toilet when facing it. Horizontal grab rails are located on the left of the toilet against the wall and on the back of the door. Vertical grab rails are located again to the left of the toilet and on the wall immediately behind the toilet on the right hand side and on either side of the hand wash basin
- All toilets have non slip silica screed flooring and are well lit with fluorescent lighting.
- The hand wash sinks have lever operated or push control taps.
- Each accessible toilet is fitted with a red alarm cord for use in an emergency.
- The fire alarm system which covers most of the site has several flashing red light beacons to alert visitors to an emergency.
- All accessible toilet locations also have baby change facilities.
- Hand washing stations are located around the site with hot water, liquid soap and paper towels.
- There are three catering outlets on site:
- • The main restaurant is accessed from the main hall and has a door width of 2 metres. Tables are laid out in rows with space between for wheelchair access. Seating is a mixture of wooden and leather chairs with no arms. All table heights are the same with a clear height underneath of 64cm. The area is lit with fluorescent lights and the floor is laminate wood.
- Food is ordered at the counter by the customer and brought to the table by the staff. Customers with dietary needs should speak to a member of staff who can consult with the chefs and provide information on suitable dishes or adaptations.
- Menus are printed and available on the table but can be read out to customers if required.
- Crockery is white with the table coverings of pvc material.
- The nearest WC and accessible WC is in the corner of the room.
- A second catering outlet is located in the main hall on a level concrete floor. Seating is on a mix of picnic benches and small square tables & chairs with a clearance height of 69cm underneath for wheelchairs.
- The area is well lit.
- Food is ordered at the counter by the customer and either collected by the customer or brought to the table by the staff. Customers with dietary needs should speak to a member of staff who can consult with the chefs and provide information on suitable dishes or adaptations.
- Menus are printed and available on the table but can be read out to customers if required. All food from this outlet is served on disposable crockery.
- The nearest WC and accessible WC is 20 metres away in the opposite corner of the hall.
- A third outlet serves drinks, sweets and ice creams only. This is located outside at the front of the animal barn and has a wooden step of 10cm to access it. A wooden canopy provides cover over the serving hatch. Staff can come out to the customer if they cannot get to the counter.
- High chairs are available in the main restaurant.
- A microwave is located in the main restaurant for customers to heat their own food.
- The gift shop is located within the main building adjacent to the restaurant and indoor play areas.
- There is a space of 2 metres around a central display for wheelchairs and pushchairs to move about.
- The floor is laminated wood.
- Products are displayed at a variety of heights but a member of staff is always present to assist in reaching items down from a higher shelf.
- Background music plays in the shop.
Grounds and Gardens
- The floor surface on the park is a mixture of tarmac, gravel and grass.
- The grassed areas are the play fields and field trail and so are by definition not level, and can be undulating in places.
- All pathways are at least 2 metres wide.
- The animal barn has 2 sleeping policemen set into the floor which are painted white.
- A kerb on the right hand side of the animal barn (4.5cm high and 14-25cm wide) allows children to see into the animal pens more easily.
- In the event of an emergency we have a fully rehearsed evacuation plan in place. All staff are fully trained in the evacuation routes and how to reach the main assembly point on the car park.
- Our radio system in place on the site can get assistance to anyone who needs additional help to evacuate the site.
- Green & white running man signage is in use to lead customers to the exits and emergency lighting is installed in all buildings.
- Guide dogs are allowed on site.
Address: Farmer Ted’s Farm Park, Flatman’s Lane, Downholland, Ormskirk, Lancashire. L39 7HW.
Telephone: 0151 526 0002
Hours Of Operation: 10 am – 6 pm Wednesday – Monday (Closed Tuesdays in term time)
Local Accessible Taxi: Ormskirk: 01695 573333, Maghull: 0151 526 5050 Formby: 0151 933 6000.